Sunday, June 22, 2008

Breakfast Sausage

I started to make my own breakfast sausage because I've not been able to find any good pre-packaged sausage made from beef or lamb. By "good" I mean "made without preservatives or icky additives such as MSG."

The Whole Foods store in a neighboring town carries organic breakfast sausage made from either turkey, chicken or pork. But according to the Blood Type Diet, beef and lamb are better choices for those with Type O blood. In fact, pork is a toxin to all blood types.

I just made my third batch yesterday, and I just wanted to capture the recipe I used to make breakfast sausages, since it came out better than the first batch.

To 1 lb of ground beef*, I added:
After my daughter and I kneaded it well, I made "links." I formed a flat rectangle about the size of a number 10 business size envelope, about 1/2 inch thick. Then I cut off 1/2 "sticks."

I fried the "sticks" in a fry pan at medium low heat and turned them every few minutes. I kept them covered to keep them from drying out.

They cooked in less than 10 minutes.

When they were done, I placed them onto a sheet of aluminum foil and wrapped them up for storage in the freezer.

They came out a bit too spicey, so I plan to cut back the Cayenne pepper next time. Also, I was going for a more sweet sausage, like a maple flavor, which I didn't get at all. So I might double or triple the Fenugreek.

* This beef was 90% lean ground sirloin. I've used ground lamb for my second try, which I think came out better.

** This spice does contain Dextrose, which some might want to avoid. I do plan to try a batch without this one day. But since I have it, I figured I might as well use it. When I made the first batch, I used only this spice. But the result was bland.


Let me know if you try this, or if you have another recipe for breakfast sausage!

No comments: