Thursday, June 20, 2019

Wednesday Weigh-In 20190620

I cooked my first ever batch of Mung Beans over the weekend. They're a great substitute for lentils.

Edited on 2019-06-30 to add...

For this first batch, I cooked them according to the advice here, except that I omitted the garlic, and I rinsed the beans several times.

This is similar to how I cook rice, except I don't rinse rice, and mung beans require twice as much liquid.

My goal was to add them to some sort of cold grain salad dish, perhaps quinoa salad. But another family member finished that salad, and the beans came out overcooked, which made them a great candidate for filing a vegan Empanada.

They stunk quite a bit while cooking -- a musty earthy smell. I'm surprised that my housemates didn't complain about it, as they usually complain when I make ghee or hard boiled eggs. Anyway, I hope you try and enjoy them!

Waist = 39.25"
Height = 5' 7"

References:
  1. Wikipedia BMI page
  2. Balance Body Composition Bath Scale
  3. Javascript must be enabled to view the data.

2 comments:

An8el from the Sher Boards said...

Never had mung beans cooked before - always just sprouted them. What do you do with them?? What spices would you use?

Square Peg Guy said...

Thank you for reading and commenting, An8el.

I've updated the post to provide more detail.

As for spices, I would include spices typically used in either Middle Eastern, Mexican or Indian cuisine. It turned out that we were all out of Cumin that day, so I think I added just Ancho Chili Powder and butter (to improve texture) after they were done cooking. But the vegetable broth and salt gave enough flavor without these additions.

- SPG