Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Three Rs and the F-word

Thanks to her public school education, our pre-teen daughter has mastered the F-word. She has described how the girls in her class routinely pollute their conversations with F-words, "What the Effa-effa-effa are you effa-effa-effa doing, effa?"

But yesterday, when the laptop over-heated and suddenly shutdown during the ultimate game-winning battle with Captain Crawfish, she demonstrated complete mastery:

"Oh f*ck," she said, like a twenty year old, at the refilling station, with a maxed out credit card and an empty gas tank.

In less than four years, she'll be driving the car, or so she reminds me.

3 comments:

The Thrifty Book Nerd said...

Things are happening so fast these days. Thanks to pre-school, my son has mastered the s-word and the d-word. In the proper context.

Square Peg Guy said...

I'm sorry to hear about the words your son adopted.

Thanks for commenting!

Rummuser said...

Welcome to the modern world SP. My son and his friends use them all the time and I find it jarring. He will not use them when talking to me but I do overhear him all the time on the phone!

My grandfather and some of my father's generation people, particularly in rural parts would not talk without profanity. This culture seems to have skipped a couple of generations and revived.