Sunday, October 23, 2016

Easy Homemade Mayonnaise

Ever since I found out how easy it is to make mayonnaise from scratch, I've been whipping together one-cup batches.  I follow the basic process described by The Healthy Foodie and use my own ingredients, which includes (in addition to the egg and oil):

¼ teaspoon dry ground mustard
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional, for a taste more like "Bell Menz")

Why go through all this fuss?  Why not just eat store-bought mayo?  Commercial mayo is made from inferior, highly-refined, GMO oil.  Even the products sold in health food stores are made from canola oil, whose ratio of Omega 3 to Omega 6 is not favorable.  Besides, homemade mayonnaise is so much more delicious, and you can vary the recipe to make a dressing.  For example, you might add horseradish to complement roast beef, or Worcester sauce for a spicy sushi dish.

A batch lasts at least two weeks, but you'll probably finish it before then.

Try it!

2016-12-30 SPG Edited to add the optional maple syrup.

2 comments:

zazamataz said...

I love homemade mayo! If I'm making chicken salad or if I plan on eating a lot of sandwiches, I make my own. But I confess I burned out on making it all the time otherwise.

Square Peg Guy said...

I can understand about burning out on making mayo. The worst part about it is hand-cleaning the immersion blender, which seems to take longer than making the mayo. Why a cheapskate like me decided to buy an immersion blender might be the subject of another post.

Thanks for reading and commenting!