Sunday, November 6, 2016

Hand Made Low Carb Ice Cream

For those of us on a low carb diet, ice cream is off limits.  Even the sugar-free varieties that I've seen in the store are filled with artificial sweeteners and maltodextrin.  Sure they're lower carb, but the sweetness would be enough to throw me into a sugar-seeking binge,  So I made my own version from pure heavy cream, vanilla extract and a modest amount of stevia.

I don't have an ice cream maker, so I used a method described on the Handle the Heat website.  It's very satisfying, meaning I don't need to eat a lot in order to satisfy my ice cream craving.  I controlled the sweetness to a bare suggestion of sweet, relying on the vanilla to carry the illusion of real ice cream.

I have stevia powder, which I first liquified with about a tablespoon of hot water.

No comments: