Monday, November 11, 2019

Dream: Tri-Lingual Squatter

I’m walking in the backyard, carrying a large gray storage bin.  There’s snow on the ground, and I’m walking along the treeline all the way to the back where some branches and pine needles fell due to a recent storm.

Just as I reach a gap in the treeline, the neighbor zooms out of the woods on his snowmobile.  He stops just in time to avoid running me over!  I shake my head angrily and keep walking.  They’re also doing major reconstruction on their property and seem to be intruding into my yard.

Now I’m back at the house.  The owners of the house are selling it, and they’re going away, so I’m house-sitting.  The buyer is there.  He’s from Florida, fit and sun-tanned.  He rode to the house on a racing bicycle.  I’m not sure how someone from Florida will want to live in a place that’s frozen almost half the year, but he seems adventurous.

Now I’m in the house.  I’ve been told that the former owner is still there.  But I’m a bit flabbergasted that he appears to be entrenched there as if he still owns the place.  This is the “complication” I’ve been told about.

He’s talking to himself.  He has a German accent.  So I say, “Hallo, wie geht es ihnen!”  Initially he says nothing.  He’s sitting in the middle of the couch, now.  And he notices that I’m looking at him expecting a response, so he pulls out first one earphone and then a second and explains, apologetically, “I’m listening to German in this ear (his right ear) and Italian in this one (the left).  They’re not quite in synch; the Italian is running a tad faster.”

Someone was in the process of making eggs on the stove.  But everyone has been distracted by this man, so the eggs are ruined, again.  Someone picks up  the large, bowl-shaped pan and turns it up-side-down back onto the burner.

I’m so astounded by this man that…

...I wake up.

No comments: