Saturday, November 9, 2019

Cat Litter Review -- ökocat Dust Free Paper Non-Clumping

We tried ökocat non-clumping paper cat litter for a short while, as I wrote in my Nov 1 Halloween post.  We’d liked it for the following reasons:

Drains Very Quickly
We have one very Prolific Peer (PP).  His output is so voluminous that he can wet himself in a box full of quick-clumping litter.  As soon as his pee hits the clumping litter, it solidifies.  Then as his stream continues (and continues and continues) it forms a puddle that splashes up onto him.  But the non-clumping paper litter from ökocat drains very quickly, so our PP cat stays dry.

Totally Dust Free
There is absolutely no dust produced.  Period.

Light Weight
This is lightest litter I’ve ever used.

Compostable
Because it’s made from paper, it will eventually decompose, so it can be composted.  I dumped a bunch of it in the summer, but I don’t see it anymore.

Ubiquitous – even our grocery store carries it
I first discovered this cat litter in my favorite grocery store.  It was on sale, plus I had a coupon for it.  I happened to be looking for a non-clumping dust-free litter, so I decided to try it.  Then a while later I got concerned because there was none left, and I thought the store discontinued it.  But, no, it’s back on the shelf.

What we don’t like:

Odor Control
This litter reeked of pee within two weeks of my introducing it in our home.  The only solution was to dump it out.  I decided I didn’t want to have to replace it every two weeks, so I stopped buying it.  Except I still had one box left, which I used for my Halloween costume.

I plan to keep the one unused box.  It might come in handy to clean up liquid spills.  I’m fortunate that our two cars don’t leak oil – I wish I had a box of ökocat around when I had my Audi.

#NaBloPoMo2019

2 comments:

Molly said...

If I put kitty litter in my back yard, would the feral cats use it? They love my flower beds.

Square Peg Guy said...

What an intriguing idea, to make a spot on your property more attractive than another spot to feline poopers! I did notice that the two piles of used (and exhausted) litter had been disturbed. It was clear that a smallish animal had walked in them. I don't know if the animal was cat, dog, skunk, rabbit, possum, etc. I certainly didn't check for evidence of elimination.

I think if I were to establish a flower bed and wanted to keep cats out of it, I'd create "buffer zones" around it to "deflect" the poopers. I don't think I'd use cat litter in the BZ, though. It's expensive compared to "dirt" and turns nasty when exposed to the elements.
So I might provide just loosened soil with a "cat attractant" or at least cat nip added to it.

In the poop-free zone, I might add a repellent such as orange peels or some citrusy-scented stuff.