Friday, September 19, 2008

This is Life -- The Handoff

Sometimes, things happen in Life that are too bizarre even for fiction. Here's one:

We were having pizza and pitchers of soda at a bowling alley. One soda pitcher was nearly empty, so my wife takes the pitcher and starts walking toward the counter. The attendant saw that we were low on soda, so she filled another pitcher and started walking toward us.

She and my wife meet halfway, and they need to exchange pitchers. The girl tries to hand the full pitcher to my wife. But my wife needs two hands to grab it. So she insists that the girl take the empty pitcher first. And thus they jostle briefly.

Then finally the attendant reaches out her free hand, which is incongruously devoid of fingers. She just has some sort of stump after her wrist. Shaken, my wife quickly hangs the empty pitcher on the stump, grabs the full pitcher, and makes a beeline back to our table.

This is Life.

2 comments:

Slywy said...

There's a young woman in my building who has rudimentary, nonfunctional fingers, but she seems to have adapted well. I had a high school teacher missing a hand. I always wondered if it had been an accident or if she had been born without.

Anonymous said...

I suppose this could be more common than we might think. We wouldn't have noticed the girl's hand if that situation didn't happen.

Thanks for commenting!