Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Side Effects

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" says that the effect of drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

- from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," by Douglas Adams

I thought about the above quote as I stood under the moonlight in the backyard. The reason I was standing under the moonlight in the backyard was because I was waiting for the dog to finish reading and writing all his pee-mail.

The thing that made me think of the Douglas Adams quote was precisely this -- I realized that I could not see the dog very well. In fact, I couldn't see anything very well. My vision was veiled. And I immediately knew why. It was because of my Valentine's Day Sugar Binge.

Did you ever wonder why diabetics have vision problems? It is because the high levels of blood sugar interfere with the nerve endings that help us see. Eat enough sugar, and it's like having your nerves rubbed out by a blue silk handkerchief folded around an electrically-charged metal file.

Well, I enjoyed the taste of those chocolates and the B&J Phish food ice cream. And I don't have to worry about being tempted by it again tomorrow because, yes, you guessed it, I ate it all.

Of course there's still the 1 pound assortment that I bought for my wife. The ritual goes like this: if she takes a bite of something that she doesn't like, she gives it to me.

So chances are that tomorrow I'll be sitting about marveling at more side effects.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to resist the goodies. I don't even go in the stores when they have all that candy on display for various "special" days. I keep one container of dark chocolate individually wrapped candy in the pantry and have one piece every day. I find that kills the cravings. Now my problem really isn't resisting candy. It's bread. OMG I love bread of all kinds!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I like to keep unsweetened baking chocolate on hand for cravings. When I start to feel a craving for chocolate, I give myself a small square of the stuff and let it melt slowly in my mouth. It's bitter, and it has a grainy texture. But somehow it satisfies me.

Bread. Even before my diet, the smell of it would make me a little sick. We now buy a loaf of spelt bread about once every three weeks. We don't do sandwiches anymore, but it's good for a quick breakfast of nut butter on toast.

Thanks for commenting!

Lynne said...

Hey Square Peg! My fella brought me truffles which I quickly injected into my veins...yum-a-roo!
Well, yes there was a headache for a bit but...truffles might just be worth that!
I think that it is time that I re-read all my Douglas Adams books because he comes up with some of the best lines!

Anonymous said...

Lynne, we do have to make sacrifices for our spouses, don't we? :)

Let's see, I have a few quotes from Douglas Adams that I can intersperse among the detritus of my mind.

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

All strength to you. I can relate to you. I simply cannot see stock of anything sweet sitting in the refrigerator or anywhere else for that matter. I must finish it asap.

Anonymous said...

Oh the power of chocolate. We're realizing around my house that it takes a good week to get the sugar and the cravings it creates out of the system.

Yes, the power of chocolate. I'm not supposed to eat it due to a stomach condition and hadn't for months, yet I managed on Valentines Day to convince myself that a little wouldn't hurt--letting a few choc. kisses melt in my mouth. Shortly after, I remembered why I'm not supposed to eat it-up all night with pain. Wouldn't be surprised by next Valentine's Day if I have forgotten again and need to remind myself with a bit more. Ugh-the power of chocolate!