Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Stop Killing Dogs Petition

I'd like to bring to your attention a petition "to stop brutal torture of dogs and dog meat consumption in South Korea". Please go there and sign it if you agree with it.

I'd've signed it right away if the petition had been limited to calling for a ban on the torture and inhumane treatment of dogs. But it doesn't. It also calls for South Koreans to stop eating dogs. I quote from the petition, "...it is a great injustice to allow dogs to be bred, raised and slaughtered for meat." If we in the USA can breed, raise and slaughter cows, calves, lambs, chickens, turkeys, pigs, etc., why can't South Koreans eat their choice of meat? So I declined to sign the petition.

Furthermore, I'm suspicious. I wonder how factual are this website's claims. And when I get that way, I tend to go to Snopes to see if the topic of dog torture has been discussed. While I did not find a reference to the petition or the website it's hosted on, I did find this Snopes page on Joey Skaggs very interesting. And most of the top forty search results on "dog torture" refer to cases within the US. Not one refers to any Asian country, except for #30, which refers to the actual petition.

So what do you think?

2 comments:

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I'm a long-time vegetarian, so eating dog--or any other meat--is out of the question. However, there's really not much difference between eating dog, duck or (in the days of yore) dinosaur. Flesh is flesh!

Cassie said...

Never heard of Joey Skaggs, but I read the Snopes link and now I do. I recall the dog meat "scare" afew years back. Even if it were true, like you said, different cultures eat differnt meats. Most blanche at the thought of Americans eating organ meats like liver.

ps-I love my dogs so I make sure they look really mangey so no one will want to chow down on them!!haha.