Thursday, September 3, 2009

My Personal Labor Day History

With Labor Day coming up, I've been reflecting on how my observances of Labor Day have been unconventional.

In the first half of my career, I was involved in the design and development of medical imaging equipment. September was our most frantic time of year, because that's when we'd prepare for the annual RSNA trade show. We'd be running a second shift and have people working weekends to troubleshoot systems that were used to generate images for the show. There was no taking time off to celebrate Labor Day.

I quit that job to go to school full time. I'd always have a good summer job, but I'd quit right before Labor Day to return to classes.

After graduating (May 1992), I had some trouble finding a "permanent" job, so I took yet another summer job, which also ended right before Labor Day. Fortunately, I finally found a permanent position, which started on the Tuesday after Labor Day. I remember on that first day of work thinking to myself how funny it is that I've never had a paid day off for Labor day in the 10 years I've been working.

Then I met my wife who also always worked on Labor Day. She was a medical professional, and being childless, she always volunteered (or was forced to volunteer) for holidays.

So if you have paid time off for this upcoming Monday holiday, please think kindly of the many people who are working in hospitals, public safety, retail, service.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Rummuser said...

I salute you for bringing this very important aspect of service providers of all types who work on holidays whose service is just taken for granted by those who are enjoying the holiday but using the services.

Square Peg Guy said...

Thank you, Rummuser!

I wish I could say that I stayed home yesterday and today. But I needed to go to the bank yesterday to have funds transferred into my checking account. And I picked up filter masks at the hardware store across the street. On Sunday, I bought a large coffee for my wife to aid in her resurrection.

I'd love to stay home tomorrow, or at least not go to a store. But my wife wants to go out (after being bedridden for two days) and she intends to eat somewhere, too.