Saturday, October 19, 2013

Reactions to a Mystery Gift

Cranky Fibro Girl related a funny story regarding her parents' reaction to a surprise gift that she sent to them through Amazon.  She described the conversation that took place between them, which you can read here.
If my wife and were to get a surprise gift in a similar manner, here's how our hypothetical conversation would play out:

Wife (calling me at work): The package you ordered arrived.
Me: What package?
Wife: I don't know.  It's from Amazon.com.
Me: I didn't order anything from Amazon.com.
Wife: Well you must have ordered and forgot about it.  You want me to open it?
Me: No. I didn't order anything.   We won't be able to send it back if it's opened.
Wife: Are you sure you didn't order something and then forgot about it?  You know how forgetful you are.
Me: I'm not the one who's forgetful!  You're the one who's always forgetting things.
Wife: Well, whatever, it's here.  I can open it if you want.
Me: No, I need to check my account and my charge card first.

Later...
Me: Well, I didn't order anything, and there's no charge on my credit card.  It might be a gift.  You can open it if you want.  [Then, thinking it might from one of my very weird Internet friends...]  Hmmm, maybe don't open it.  It could be hoax or a bomb.


How would you react to an unexpected package?

3 comments:

Rummuser said...

I should be so lucky as to receive a gift!

Rummuser said...

And, I am puzzled. Who would want to send a bomb to you? Why?

Square Peg Guy said...

Hi Rummuser, I don't know of anyone who would want to send a bomb to me. But if you ever heard of Ted Kaczynski, aka The Unabomber, you might understand the how the idea came so easily to me and others.

Thank you for your comments!