Monday, December 29, 2008

Dear Police Officer

Dear Police Officer:

Thank you for taking the time to remind me that my car's registration expired. I understand that you set aside personal safety -- passing other cars at high speeds and stopping on the two-lane highway -- in order to issue me the written reminder, a "citation" I believe you called it. You also provided me a way to supplement our state's income by suggesting that I mail the citation back with a donation of $93. I am more than happy to oblige in these difficult times.

I especially want to thank you for calling a towing service on my behalf to remove my vehicle from the road. Clearly, it was necessary to stop driving it while it was unregistered because it might have turned into a dangerous weapon of mass terror during the lapse.

I really appreciate the personal service. Most other entities I do business with merely mail to me an impersonal reminder to remit payment. Not you. You worked extra hard to make sure I had a most memorable experience when I would otherwise have been frittering away my time at work.

Best wishes for the New Year!

Sincerely,



Square Peg

6 comments:

Petra a.k.a The Wise (*Young*) Mommy said...

Damn pigs.

Go get a donut.

Unknown said...

I guess the $93 donation garners personal attention, eh?

Lynne said...

Now because it is such a lovely donation...do you get to write it off on your taxes???
This kind of story just warms my heart. It is so nice to know that we are safer now from scary unregistered cars like yours.

Anonymous said...

Hi Petra:

He certainly wasn't the stereotypical donut eating type. When the tow truck operator showed up, he commented to the cop, "Wow, you're busy today!" I guess they had a sting going to raise money to reduce the state budget deficit.

Thanks for commenting!

Anonymous said...

Hey, CG, $93 is such a bargain for such personal attention. But the tow charge was another $100 or so, cash only.

Anonymous said...

Lynne, you crack me up. Thanks for the laugh!