Sunday, December 21, 2008

Winter Solstice

Today is our Winter Solstice. I like to watch the Sun rise on this day. But today, our skies are so heavy with snow-laden clouds that I could not do this. Besides, I slept late.

When I see the Sun so low in the Southern sky on this day, I like to imagine that I'm living ten thousand years ago. I know nothing about Earth's inclination to the Sun and how Earth orbits the Sun. I worry that Sun is leaving. Do I perform a sundance to entice Her back to me? Or should I go follow Her before I lose Her for good? What did I do the last time She started to leave? I must do it again.

I look forward to the longer periods of daylight that each coming day will bring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you wrote about winter solstice! It's an important day that I don't think gets its due of attention. Winter solstice is the origin of why Christmas and Hannakuh (and other holidays) are celebrated at this time of year... to balance the long, dark, cold, food deprived, days with light, warmth, food abundance and company.

Happy Holidays to you and your wife-- Sincerely, Kerry

Anonymous said...

The winter solstice reminds me to be grateful for a warm apartment...well, almost warm, the heater does have a hard time keeping...and enough food and light. One of the nice things about winter is being home for the evening.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kerry:

Thanks for commenting. I hope your days are filled with light, warmth, food and loved ones, and all good things, really.

Anonymous said...

Jean:

I thought of another nice thing about winter. I like how plans can change due to snow or ice. It makes life interesting!

Thanks for commenting!