Monday, November 8, 2010

Dream: Planning Vacation with the Artist

I'm at the terminal looking at the screens. I see that there are only two tickets left for the trip that my wife and I are planning to take with her artist friend. Yet I don't want to buy them.

I'm in a movie theater with three friends. We're attending a film about the upcoming art exhibit, which will feature the work of my wife's friend. In fact, the plane tickets that I was supposed to buy are for the trip to attend that exhibit. And the friends are planning to go, too. I wonder if they've already bought their plane tickets. Uneasy, I watch the film.

The artist's work involves dead human bodies on platforms. The platforms are covered in dark but colorful overlapping squares, roughly 1 foot by 1 foot. The bodies are wrapped in a cloth that matches. I know this because I've seen her work before in a photo of an earlier exhibit that featured one such body. In the film I'm seeing now, there are three bodies on three platforms. One of the bodies sits up suddenly.

It occurs to me that she has only the one body from her previous exhibit. The two extra bodies are going to come from my friends -- the artist is going to kill two of them to use them in the exhibit!

But my unease over the plane tickets weighs even more heavily on my mind. I forget about my friends' deaths and worry about the tickets.

No comments: