Sunday, January 4, 2009

Dream: The Waterfall

I'm on the bank of the nearby river. Some guy is with me. We look at a log that has fallen and lodged into the bank. We decide that the log is trapping too much debris. So we push it off the bank and cause it to float downstream.

Now I'm downstream, and I see the log get trapped here among a bunch of small logs and branches. And only a few feet further there is a steep drop of about 20 - 30 yards. But because of all the logs and branches, there is only a thin sheet of water going over the waterfall.

There are some people swimming further downstream. They're approaching the bottom of the waterfall. Somehow they begin to swim up it. They make great progress, but they do not reach the top. It's not that they're incapable of it. They just don't seem to want to.

But now a couple of them do get to the top. They dive even though the water appears quite shallow. I can see the bottom even from up here. I wait for the expected trauma and shouting that would follow such a disastrous dive. But the divers appear to be fine.

I keep looking down, contemplating diving only slightly. There's no way I'd really do it.

No comments: