Friday, January 2, 2009

Why Not Ask For Directions?

I may be an oddball-misfit, but I'm a typical guy in one respect. No that's not what I mean! Okay, make that two respects.

I hate to ask for directions. Here's why:
  1. There are some neighborhoods so dangerous, you shouldn't even stop at traffic lights. Forget pulling over to stop and admit you're lost. If you do that, you'll either get pulled out of your car right then, or you'll get directions to a gang of punks who'll pull you out of the car. You're much better off following the greatest amount of traffic. It will most likely lead you to the highway, and then you can get out of there.
  2. Guys like to be in charge. The moment we ask for help, we're putting someone else in charge. No likey.
  3. We're pioneers, explorers. We're never really lost, actually. We're still somewhere on Earth, eager to blaze new trails and find our own way.
  4. We can't listen to directions, actually. The moment we try to memorize the directions, we'll hear, "Go blah blah blocks and turn blah. Then take the next blah and go a few more blocks until you see blah blah and make a blah. Then make a blah at the Wendys." Even if you just tell us to take a right on Forestville Road, we'll take a left on Fountainview Road. Face it. We're lousy listeners and we know it.

5 comments:

Slywy said...

My friend has finally figured out, more or less, that it's wise to have and to listen to his navigator.

Anonymous said...

A navigator? I think you're referring to a GPS system. That would be the worst scenario. It's bad enough to relinquish control to a regular person who lives in the area and knows it. But it's much worse to put one's trust in a new technology designed by engineers. I'd rather wing it.

Thanks for commenting!

Slywy said...

No, I am referring to ME. ;)

Anonymous said...

I would listen to you, but I assume you're not available.

All the best!

Slywy said...

I'm available to my friend, and only after several detours I've told him not to take has he realized I may not drive, but I can read a map.