Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Dream: Hawk Feathers

I'm in a wooded area next to a wood pile.  I notice a dead mouse on top of a pointy fence post.  I figure some cat must've caught it and left it there.

I come back to this spot after a little while and notice hawk feathers on the ground.  Some cat or cats must've attacked and killed it.  I start to pick up the feathers.  The second one is broken near the base and has blood on it.  The cats that did this must've been true Warrior Cats.  But why did they leave the mouse?  I decide to remove the mouse to a less prominent place.  I pick it up by pinching the skin of its back, and I'm surprised to find out that it's alive.  It was just stuck there.  So I let it go onto the ground.

My dog is snuffling about in the heavy cover of crunchy dead oak leaves.  I notice his keen interest in something.  Sure enough, he discovers a treasure -- the rotting corpse of a large rodent, a squirrel or rabbit perhaps.  I grab him and try to force him to drop it.  I can tell he loves this "game."  It's the "Pick Up Something I'm Not Supposed to Have and Keep it Away From the Humans" game.  Eventually, I get him to drop the disgusting carcass.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our cat eats the birds she catches. She catches the rodents but doesn't eat them.

If cats could talk perhaps they'd tell us that the hunt is fun no matter what you're hunting, but rodents don't taste so good.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so maybe in my dream I knew what cats like to eat!

Also, I always wondered why there was no mouse-flavored cat food. I suppose this explains it. Then again, my wife would be repulsed with the idea of buying such food.

Thanks for commenting!