Sunday, November 2, 2008

Life in Heaven

Christians celebrated All Saints Day today. We remember the dead, especially those who departed in the past 12 months (since the previous All Saints Day).

Our Pastor based his sermon on the civil war poem, "The Faded Coat of Blue," by J. H. McNaughton. The chorus is:
No more the bugle calls the weary one.
   Rest, noble spirit, in thy grave unknown.
I'll find you and know you among the good and true
   When a robe of white is given for the faded coat of blue.
It made me wonder again about Heaven, something I haven't done in a very long time.  What if I get to Heaven and someone whom I never liked finds me?  Will I still dislike that person?  Or what if I find someone who doesn't like me?

When I find my mother and father, how will they appear?  What age will they seem like?  I last saw them weakened and broken by disease.  They won't be like that in Heaven, right?  Are they still going to argue?

Then I started to wonder about pain.  Do we really know what sensations we'll experience in Heaven?  Will my wife's pain really leave her when she dies?  I realize that sounds silly.  Most people believe that pain is of the body, which the soul leaves to enter Heaven.  But when you live with chronic pain, it takes over your life.  How can anyone be sure it won't take over your death, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what questions, food for the mind and the soul.

You have to be an intuned, devoted caregiver to understand your wife's pain in such a profound way.

Beautiful post! Kerry

Anonymous said...

PS

I've been a bit "under the weather" this week (chronic illness flare up) and have forgotten to tell you...

I awarded you the "Kreativ Blogger Award". Your blog is a new found favorite. (Love your writing style, sense of humor and the way you think). You can pick up the award at my blog (Click on the "Kreativ Blogger" badge and paste it on your own). There is a condition that comes with the award, but it's fun--sharing six things that make you happy and awarding some of your favorite blogs.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the comment on this post and for the award!

I did see that award yesterday on your blog, and I started to write my own award post.

I hope you recover quickly.